Tuesday, December 22, 2009

High Risk OB update

Week 11
11 Week Cartoon

Monday I went in for an ultrasound. Everything looks great. It took the tech a little while to get the baby to cooperate but once the baby turned around she was able to get some good pictures.
Photobucket
This is our little baby at 11 weeks 2 day 12.21.09

Today Vince and I met Dr. G (High Risk OB). After he reviewed my chart and talking with Vince and I they are defiantly classifying me a High Risk pregnancy. I am considered high risk for a couple of reasons.
1. My history with preterm labor with the girls

2. My breathing and lung capacity

A few things that we talked about
1. As the pregnancy goes on my lung capacity will most likely decrease. When this happens it will get harder for me to do the basic things such as walking and working. He predicts that I may need to go on bed rest by about 30 weeks.

2. in terms of my previous pregnancy and pre term labor. Dr. Gs office will be doing ultrasounds every month to check my cervix length until 30 weeks.

3. Dr. G would like me to transfer all my prenatal care to them. However I am not sure that I am ready to do that at this time. I will however do it if and when thing start to change.

4. At my next ultrasound they will be looking at the baby’s facial features. 1 side effect of prednisone is Cleft lip and pallet. Although the chances of the baby having it is slim because the prednisone doesn’t go through the placenta very well, it is a less than 1% chance they are still going to look for it. The baby’s facial development happens from 6-11 weeks for most of that time I was off the prednisone.

5. We also talked about shielded chest CTs and Dr. G stated that between 14weeks and 22 weeks is the prime time to do them because I am out of the first trimester and my uterus is not quite above my belly button.

6. He talked about what he would suggest during delivery. He would defiantly recommend an epidural, which I plan to get anyways, and that we should let my body do most of the delivery with limited pushing and trying to stay as relaxed as possible.

I see Dr. G again on 1.19.2010 they will be doing an hour ultrasound before the appointment.

Last Wednesday I had to go back on my prednisone. They started me at 10mg. I took 10mg for 4 days and there was no change in my breathing or my coughing. On Sunday I upped to 15mg it seems to be helping some but I am not going to up it anymore until
I talk with Dr. C (pulmonologist). I still need to schedule my next appointment with him. At that appointment they also want me to get a PFT.

Tomorrow is see Dr. C (PCP) I will need to talk with him about what we discussed today.

2 comments:

Sterling and Cori Anne said...

Wow lots of info for you! I love the ultrasound picture! I hope everything goes well for you. I'm a high risk pregnancy too- so we have that in common. And I see my High Risk OB on 1-19 too!

Melissa said...

Cori are you going to find out what you are having this time or will it be a surprise again?