Thursday my cough reaching a breaking point chest hurt, couldn’t sleep, just in all exhausted
Friday stayed home and watched sex and the city and slept all day
Saturday doing a little better tried to go see a friend dance but when I finally made it up the wheelchair ramp at the Seattle Center with the double stroller I couldn't stop my coughing and I couldn't stay.
Sunday was going so much better I was able to eat a bowel of cereal and we were going to go to church but due to the snow we headed back home and went to walmart and stop to get lunch. Well we went home to eat our chow main noodles and it felt as if I had some stuck in my throat and we headed to the ER to make sure there was not anything there but I had just scratched it really bad.
Monday went in to work for part of the day and in between checking emails I was sleeping so we left and went to radiation early and to check in with Dr. T. because of the cough did my weight check and lost 5 pounds since Friday they decided I needed IV fluids and sent me to Swedish in the mean time sleeping between everything, waiting for the Dr. T, waiting for radiation to begin, waiting on the table for the radiation which I can't move I have to stay in one spot, then on the way to the hospital and then during fluids needless to say the whole day sleeping. Dr. T feels that my cough is a side effect of the radiation it is called radiation pneumonitis. Pneumonitis mimics a pneumonia but is not treated the same. Pneumonitis is treated with steroids and pneumonias are treated with antibiotics.
Tuesday we started the third and final stage of the treatment plan. Now we are just targeting the mass that is still in my chest so they are no longer radiating my throat, my armpit, left lungs and heart. My lung and heart my still be getting a little radiation due to the location of the mass but they are not focusing on it.
So things are looking better I am able to eat a little more and my throat is not so sore anymore. I can finally swallow water with out it hurting. My energy is getting better since I am able to get a little more foods down. In the last week I lost all of the 10 pounds that I gained back since treatment as started
I am going to get some pictures of the machine that they use to administer the radiation so that everyone has an idea of what it is like.
I see Dr. T again today to check in on the cough. At the beginning of my treatment he consulted a Dr. at Harvard and just heard back from him. This Dr. feels with how aggressive we have been treating this he said that to him he would feel comfortable about stopping my treatments this Friday. Dr. T is not sure that we are going to do that, I am not sure that I want to either I would rather be sure that we get this and take care of it. Really what is 2 more days that I was planning on having to do anyways?
So here is a list of side effects that I having
Sore throat
Fatigue
Cough
A list of medications
*Benzonatate 1 pill 3 times a day – for cough
*Prednisone- steroid- 1 pill 3 times a day – for cough
*Omeprazole – prilosac – 1 pill 1 a day- for acid reflex to help ease the damage to my throat
*Fluconazole – antifungal- 1 pill 1 a day – because of the steroids there is a chance that an infection can start because the steroids will cause the bacteria to multiple and with the scratch in my throat there is a higher chance.
* Magic mouthwash - what this mouthwash consist of is Benadryl, Maalox, and lidocaine. What this is for is to help with swallowing when eating. So I am supposed to drink and teaspoon right before eating and the lidocaine numbs my throat so that it doesn’t feel like it is getting scratched but what happens when I take it is that I can swallow it fine but once it starts to numb it starts to make me having the feeling that I need to throw up so I am not able to take it. They think I am having a reaction to it. No biggy anymore since my throat is getting better just would have been nice to be able to eat.
Well I think that is everything that I have to report on today. Like I said I will try and get a picture today of the machine that is used and will walk you through what it is that I do daily when I go in.
2 comments:
omgosh honey...what an ordeal!! You are one of the strongest people I know. Stay strong!! Prayers are always coming atcha!!
Love,
Heather B.
Hope you start feeling better soon!!!
Matthew, Kyle, and Aiden
Post a Comment