Friday, August 15, 2008

On to fight the battle

Well got some good news and not so good news. First we found out that as of right now they are classifying my cancer as stage 2. They are considering it stage 2 because according to the PET scan and CT scan the cancer is in my left lung and in my lymph nodes around my left shoulder area. According to the PET scan majority of my left lung has colapsed due to the mass putting pressure on it, the mass has actually pushed my heart into the right side of my chest and is pushing through my ribs on the left. To be sure that it is only in stage 2 I will go in on Monday for a Bone Marrow test, if it is in my Bone marrow then it will be classified as a stage 4, the doctor feels that there is a 10% chance that it is since it is not showing in my abdomen but we will cross that road when we come to it. I will do 4 rounds (2 months) of chemo and then I will have another PET and CT done to see how the cancer is responding and make a plan for the rest of my treatment.

Some questions were brought up were:
Q: Will this affect my fertility?
A: During chemo yes, but there is a good chance since you are young and healthy of it returning after chemo and radiation. It may cause you to go into early menopause later

Q: Although it is likely I had it before I was pregnant with Allison will it affect her?
A: No, we have never seen this pass on to a child like that

Q: Will I lose my hair?
A: Yes

Q: I she gets a fever should she come to the hospital?
A: Yes if it is 100.5 or higher

Q: if the bone marrow test shows it is in my marrow will it change the treatment or prognosis?
A: No, not at this time we will still treat it the same as stage 2. The prognosis will change to 75% of recovery.

Q: What are the chances that one of my siblings will be a match?
A: 1 in 4 as long as you all have the same parents

Q: Should they get tested to be a match now?
A: No

Q: What would the test for them be to see if they are a match?
A: Blood test

Q: Will they go in and remove surgically any mass that is left behind after treatment?
A: no they find it is not effective to attempt to remove it surgically

Q: How will they know if I am responding to treatment?
A: Six months after treatment we will do another PET and CT scan.

Q: if the PET and CT scan show no mass at the end of 6 months will I need radiation?
A: Yes, we will do radiation for 1 month 5 days a week.

Q: Should I be isolated from the girls to avoid getting colds from them?
A: No just wash their hands and be sure to wash your own.

Schedule next week
Monday
Bone marrow test and Heart scan MUGA scan

Tuesday
Port placement

Wednesday
Nothing

Thursday
PFT- Pulmonary function test

Friday
Admit over night for my first round of ABVD- a Chemotherapy drug mix.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well... Dear Melissa, I believe that as I read about your experiences at this time in your life, I cannot help but absorb every word. Whether it is a good day or bad, happy or not so happy, I want you to know... I am hearing you. I can't help but wonder, how many lives you will touch by sharing your experiences with all of us. You have touched my heart and you are in my prayers. Love, Aunt Margaret

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

you have been on my heart and whatever you or your family needs (that goes for you Tom and Val) let me know. You got people who love and support you and thanks for keeping us up to date.

Something to think about, you might look good bald. Just keep that in mind as you are kickin the crap out of this thing.

Love and prayers,
-Darby

Unknown said...

thank you for your vulnerability and openness here, for letting us share your family. we will be praying for you, the schedule is helpful so we can pray specifically. Also, we would be blessed to watch your sweet girls any time, or bring over a meal.

Unknown said...

'm' is from the Gleseners :)

technology isn't my strong point

Kodyann said...

My MIL says you should stay bald and get a pretty tattoo behind your ear. :o)
My mom's Bible study is praying for you. Let me know if you or Vince want help with the girls or around the house and I'll be over!
-Kody

Anonymous said...

I love you both.